Residential Heavy Trash Collection
Heavy Trash/Large Yard Waste Collection is for residential customers only with an active City of Huntsville garbage account. Either an online form OR call-in is required to be placed on the schedule (936) 294-5796. Requests must be made no later than Wednesday, the week prior to pick up, before noon. Customers must leave their complete name, City of Huntsville Utility Billing account number, service address, contact number and a detailed description of the items to be placed on the pick-up list. There will be a $30.00 fee added to the utility billing account provided. Heavy Trash will be collected on the 2nd &
Guidelines for Heavy Trash / Large Yard Waste Collection
- All items must be at the street's edge no later than 6:00 AM on the day of the scheduled pick-up but no earlier than five days prior to the scheduled pick-up.
- Items shall be placed no more than two feet from the street's edge, approximately five (5) feet from garbage cans and other obstacles such as mail boxes, utility poles, fences and parked cars. Avoid placing large brush and bulky items under low-hanging tree limbs, utility lines or cables.
- Heavy trash is large yard waste, furniture, appliances/white goods, and material from minor household projects such as cabinets or toilets.
- Pile (including brush) not to exceed four (4) feet in height, ten (10) feet in length and five (5) feet in depth. If the pile exceeds these dimensions, this will NOT be considered acceptable Heavy Trash and shall be removed and disposed of by the residential customer.
Large yard waste includes limbs and branches which must be prepared for pickup by using the following guidelines:
- Limbs and branches must be placed curbside and the cut ends must face the road.
- Tree limbs cannot exceed (12) inches in diameter and must be cut to a maximum of five (5) feet in length.
- Large brush must be stacked, unbound and in one pile along the road edge (see pile size limit above).
These items shall be separated from any brush:
- Appliances/white goods such as refrigerators, freezers, stoves, washers, dryers, hot water heaters, large microwaves and miscellaneous metal appliances.
- Material from minor household projects such as a toilet, a sink, a door etc.
- Miscellaneous heavy debris such as TVs, furniture, mattresses, lawn mowers etc.
The following items and locations DO NOT qualify for Heavy Trash pickup:
- Household garbage of any kind
- Tree stumps or small yard waste (bagged, canned or bundled trimmings)
- Vehicle batteries, parts, oil, tires, antifreeze or vehicles
- Commercial businesses, commercially generated heavy trash/large yard waste or tree removal service
- Construction, demolition or remodeling materials (to include but not limited to: drywall, siding, concrete, bricks, blocks, dirt, rocks, etc.)
- Cardboard or recycling
- Dead animals
- Barrels, unidentified sealed cans, paint cans, hazardous waste, swimming pool chemicals, water softener salt or chemicals
- Property vegetation clearance (lot clearing)
- Glass, mirrors, bottles, glassware of any type
You can print these and post them on your refrigerator as a reminder of the heavy trash requirements and dates!