Change or Terminate Utility Service

Changes To Your Account

Starting or stopping utility services for customers with existing accounts:

  1. Request a change in person at
    City Hall
    1212 Avenue M
    Huntsville, TX 77340
  2. Request a change via fax or email to at 936-291-5489.

In your request, please include the following information:

  • Date of Service (within 1 business day of the request)
  • A forwarding address is required for the final bill or refund of the deposit
  • Name
  • Service location
  • Verification of identification - last 4 digits of your Social Security Number or driver's license

Terminate Services

Payment Options

  • Online Payments - This service is only available after you have paid your deposit and started services at City Hall.
  • For payments over the phone, call 936-291-5431 or 936-291-5432.
  • To set up your account for automatic bank draft, please fill out an automatic payment application, and either fax it, email it to or drop it off at City Hall. Faxes should be made to the attention of Utility Billing.