Driving Safety Course

If you are charged with a traffic offense, you may be eligible to take a Driving Safety Course to dismiss the charge. 

If you have questions, contact the court at 936-291-5476 to find out if you can take a Driving Safety Course for your violation.  Do not take the course before you have made your request to the court and been approved to do so. 


You are eligible to request the Driving Safety Course option if you:

  1. Have not completed a driving safety course or motorcycle operator training course within the 12 months preceding the date of the current offense;
  2. Are not currently taking the course for another traffic offense;
  3. Do not hold a commercial driver's license currently or at the time of the violation; 
  4. Are a named, covered driver on an auto insurance policy; and
  5. Are charged with an offense involving the operation of a motor vehicle under Subtitle C, Rules of the Road, Transportation Code (Chapters 541-600) or Disobeying warning signs and barricades (Section 472.022 Transportation Code). Note: If you are charged with Unrestrained Child, you are eligible for DSC, but you must complete a specialized DSC that includes 4 hours of instruction on child restraints.

The offense charged cannot be one of the following offenses:

  • Leaving the Scene of an Accident or Failure to give information at an accident scene
  • Fleeing or Attempting to Elude Police Officers;
  • Reckless Driving;
  • Failing to Stop or Remain Stopped for a School Bus;
  • A serious traffic violation as defined by Section 522.003(25) Transportation Code (commercial vehicle);
  • An offense in a construction maintenance zone when workers are present;
  • Speeding 25 mph or more over the posted speed limit
  • Speeding at a speed of 95 mph or more, regardless of the posted speed limit

Requesting the Course

All court costs and fees are due at the time of your request (on or before the initial appearance date or your court appearance). Your request must be made in writing. If you were operating a motorcycle, you must take a motorcycle operator's training course. At the time of the request, you must do the following:

  1. Present your valid Texas driver's license OR proof of active military duty or proof that you are a spouse or dependent child of a person on active military duty along with proof of financial responsibility (automobile liability insurance that shows you as a covered driver);
  2. Plead Guilty or No Contest;
  3. Pay court costs and fees (typically $144.00 for non-school zone and $169.00 for school zone violations (call the court to verify your court costs).  We accept all forms of payment except personal checks.  Cash, cashier's check, money order, and credit or debit cards are accepted.  Please note that credit and debit card transactions are assessed a fee of 2.5%; 
  4. Submit your Request Form and swear to an affidavit that you are not currently taking a driving safety course and that you have not taken one in the 12 months preceding the date of this violation. Your request must be in writing.  
    1. The quickest and easiest way to make your request is to come to
  5. Your request must be made in writing.  The quickest and easiest way is to come to the office in person and bring your driver's license, auto insurance, and payment. If you cannot come to the office in person, you can make make your request by mail to our office at 717 FM 2821 W, Ste 200, Huntsville, Texas, 77320, or by email: mcourt@huntsvilletx.gov.  You must submit a written request and enclose/attach a copy of your valid, Texas driver's license, current auto insurance card, and payment.  If you wish to pay by phone, please provide a phone number that we can contact you.  

 If your request is granted by the Judge, your case will be postponed for 90 days to allow you time to complete the course and obtain a certified copy of your driving record. You must attend a driving safety course that has been approved by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation or motorcycle operator's course approved by the Texas Department of Public Safety.

  • Listings of Texas Approved Driving Safety Course Providers can be found online at https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/DESSearch, "Driver Education & Driving Safety".  Click I want to take a class or course", then under Driving Safety - Defensive Driving, select either Classroom or Online.  "Schools" for in-class providers or "Online" for online course providers. 
  • You can order and instantly print out a certified copy of your driving record (version 3A) online at https://txapps.texas.gov/tolapp/txldrcdr/TXDPSLicenseeManager.  You can also order the record by mail by completing and mailing in the Texas DPS Application for Driver Record order form (see link on right).  


Once approved to take the DSC option, you will be given 90 days to turn in the following items together.  

  1. A certified copy of your driving record (version 3A) from the Texas Department of Public Safety (https://txapps.texas.gov/tolapp/txldrcdr/TXDPSLicenseeManager) which shows any record of a driving safety course completion; and
  2. The "Court Copy" of your DSC certificate of completion. The certificate must be signed by you.

If you fail to turn in the two required documents by the end of the 90 day period, you must appear at a Show Cause Hearing to explain why you failed to comply with your Order by turning in the required documents.  You will be notified by mail of the date and time of the Show Cause Hearing.  

If you have a good reason why you were unable to present your proof within the time required, the Judge may, but is not required to, accept your documents at the Show Cause Hearing or grant you an extension of time. Failure to appear at the Show Cause Hearing will result in a conviction against you for the offense, and the maximum fine will be imposed.