Oakwood Cemetery is located in central Huntsville along 9th Street between Sam Houston Memorial Drive and Ryan's Ferry Road. It is owned and maintained by the City of Huntsville.
This historic cemetery is the final resting place for a number of prominent persons including General Sam Houston - former U.S. Senator, Governor and President of the Republic of Texas.
Oakwood Cemetery is composed of 6 sections:
Adickes Addition - Oakwood was expanded again in 1925 with the Adickes
Addition on the east side of Martin Luther King Jr. Drive. The Steamboat
House, where Sam Houston died, was originally located here before it
was moved to its current location on the grounds of the Sam Houston
Memorial Museum Complex.
Mayes Addition - The Mayes Addition is located across 9th Street from
Adickes Addition and is currently the only section with a significant
number of open plots available for new burials.
New Cemetery - In 1887 and 1910, Oakwood was expanded to the east of the older sections. This 5.4 acre area between the older sections and Martin Luther King Jr. Drive is known as the "New" Cemetery although it is not the newest part.
Old Cemetery with "Negro Cemetery" - This 3.3 acre cemetery, which was
deeded to the City of Huntsville in 1847, predates the founding of
Wildwood Sanctuary - The Wildwood Sanctuary is attached to the north side of the New Cemetery and comprises the 1.8 acre Rawley Rather Powell Memorial Park Addition donated in 1925 and another 2 acre tract recently donated by the Powell Family.